Thursday, August 23, 2007

FOR HEIR......



The parting line was becoming more and more prominent. I can easliy see another repetition of FREEDOM AT MIDNIGHT. The only difference was no piece of land was involved here. It was just a piece of fried starch which was being separted and was producing a threat to my new shirt. As the vibrations grew the parting became more prominent and i leaned forward so that the piece of potato doesn't spoil my shirt. Thanks to the roads of Bombay that the partition dint took longer and the piece of potato which was separating from my Burger fell straight on the floor of Autorickshaw on which i was travelling. The piece of potato flashed further into pieces as the jerks increased. But i enjoyed the one which was in my hand.

It was a long way and i was getting bored sitting quietly in the autorickshaw. I thought why not to start some conversation with my companion sitting in the front. He was a meek fellow. Hands thinner than mine. I dunt know why most of the auto rickshaw drivers seem to challenge me with their structure, meeker than myself. Anyways as i was about to start the conversation suddenly i remembered about a short movie about same situation made by my friend "FOR HIRE" The movie said the story of an autorickshaw driver caught in mesh of series of different emotions running at his back. He thinks that so many people sit at the back of his auto and they had an emotion of their own. Some times they are happy sometimes they are sad . And then he fanatsises all TV channels to be running at the back seat spanning from MTV to ASTHA with the only difference that he doesnt have the remote. Conversations .....sometimes romantic sometimes agonised sometimes sad and sometimes relieved. And then he is struck by one big question which challanged his identity altogether. What is his role in the stream of emotions flowing at his back. He tries to mingle his emotions with the others and gets only "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS" as answer. What is his emotion?? How does at all he affects the world going around him?? Faced by these questions, he decides to keep quiet and just spectate everything, as if he is not present their at all. He leaves his emotions FOR HIRE.
Well, well that was a brilliant piece of movie I have ever seen.But i was going to make an exception to the movie. I was going to mix the two different streams. I can't think of any way so just asked him 'How
long will it take?' He said twenty more minutes. I asked him to make it fast as i was in hurry. He drove faster. Suddenly i felt that i was about two inch above my seat and then i landed again on my seat with a jerk. It was a road furrow. He took the auto to the side of the road and stopped the auto for a moment. I asked him 'Are u okay?? ' 'Yes i am ' he replied. And then he smiled and said 'Kyaa karega sahab yeh road hi aisa hai' What followed next was something which shivered me to the core. He told that he was hit on his manliness when the auto bumped on the road. But he has been habitat of that. It's usual. The front seat of auto is never designed for comfort. It has no shock resistor and neither it has any temperature control mechanism. What it results is that the auto usually hits the driver's manliness. With a smiling face he told me that one of his friend is not a male at all now. He was driving an auto from the past 12 years and the rickshaw made him sterile altogether. The only thing i could ask is Y do you drive the Auto then? He said that i am married from one year now. And if I am lucky enough i will have a kid. And with his smile turning into seriousness he looked me back into my eyes and said ' Itna jaldi asar nahi hota sir' . So there were chances for him to be a father.And then he needs to fill the stomach of his kid. So he use to HIRE the auto for his HEIR.

I thoought, it's pointless to ask about does he really cares about what all is going on at his back seat? All my questions were answered by Mumbai Roads. It's not the question of the perception of director being WRONG or RIGHT. It's all about the spirit of an artist.The only thing which was pinching my mind was that sitting in the comforts of our room can we really imagine how some character FEELS who is in a situation completely different from ours?? Can we imagine even a fraction of reality?? If our imagination is so far from reality then being a story teller do we have the right to tell everybody that how we percieve some person to feel (that's all an artist does) , without actually knowing his feelings??

The Auto rickshaw was moving near to my destination. But i lost my way in between. I was caught in a mesh of thoughts.The auto rickshaw was all the same but my eyes were changed. I looked at the meter which said "FOR HIRE". I looked in the rear view mirror.The driver had an expression of his own. An expression which was black and unknown to me. I looked at the potato piece on the rickshaw surface. The road still had bumps and the potato piece was slowly fracturing into pieces.......

7 comments:

Manpreet said...

bahut hi badiya likha hai .. really an other side of "for fire". Great study of the reallity...

Golani said...

oye how about on weekend interviewing some autorickshaw walas.... ankti and i were discussing the same thing .. ki unse baat kate hain .... taki asal main pata lage how they feel... we were vaguely thinking about extending the short film .. what say??

Vipin Kumar said...

After reading the post, i have only one question, Why dont you write more often?

Deepak Kumar Mishra said...

@Golu : Gud Idea ek do customers ko le ke auto chalane ko mile to aur maza aayega....may be within IIT :D:P Waise achha idea hai kab chalna hai?

@Vipin: hmmmm kyaa karein i can't write a word unless a get some clear cut idea about what i am writing.Is liye late ho jaata hai :( Aap hi koi tarika batao......

Ankit said...

@golu and mishra
abe saath mein hi jaaenge interview ke liye ...
main 30th ko aa raha hoon

Vidushi said...

Nice blog..were U talking abt FH last time???

Anonymous said...

nice piece of work .... steady and quiet entrance and exit of thoughts ....
without bumps!!